Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Dijon Sauce

This is a staple week night meal in our house. The creamy sauce is delicious & would go well with pork or fish too. My husband says that it is so good, he could drink it. So I make sure to serve a side that can be dipped or smothered with the sauce as well. This is my slightly adapted version of a Martha Stewart dish called Sauteed Chicken in Mustard-Cream Sauce. Ingredients:

4 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
1/4 cup Chicken Broth, or White Wine
1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
2 tbsp Dijon Mustard (I prefer Gray Poupon)
1 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Butter
Salt & Pepper
Chopped fresh Parsley

Directions:Heat Olive Oil & Butter in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Season the chicken breasts with salt & pepper, on both sides. Add to the skillet & cook, searing the outsides. I cook them for about 6-7 minutes on each side.
Cover the pan with a lid, reduce heat to low & continue to cook the chicken until it is fully cooked. Remove the chicken from the pan & cover with tin foil to keep warm. Increase the heat to medium/ high again & add the chicken broth or wine. I prefer the flavor of chicken broth in this particular dish. The dijon mustard has so much flavor, I like to keep it the highlighted flavor. Plus, I'd rather drink the wine anyways! :) Cook the broth on medium/high heat, scraping all the chicken bits from the bottom of the pan, for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce reduces to about half. Then add the dijon mustard, stir to incorporate. Add the cream & reduce the heat. You don't want it to boil. Cook for a couple of minutes, letting the flavors marry & the sauce thicken. (This is when I plate the rest of the meal.)
Plate chicken & pour sauce over top. I sprinkle fresh parsley over the top to serve. Traditionally this would have tarragon in it, but my husband & I aren't huge fans. If you like tarragon, definitely add it!

No comments:

Post a Comment