Cheddar & Spring Onion Frittata

I love to cook breakfast for dinner. It's super easy & always lots of fun. Everyone gets their pajamas on, gathers in the kitchen & we cook together...it makes for a cozy & delicious evening! Ingredients:
1 tbsp Butter
3 tbsp Half & Half
6 Eggs
2 Spring Onions, sliced
1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese, cut into cubes

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In an 8" oven proof skillet, melt the butter. Roll the pan around so the melted butter coats every inch of the bottom of the pan & at least half way up the sides. This is so the frittata doesn't stick. (I am sure you could use a small casserole dish & cooking spray if you prefer, but I love to serve it out of the skillet!)
Break the eggs into a mixing bowl & add the half & half. Slightly beat, like you would for scrambled eggs or an omelet. Then gently fold in the cheese & the onions. I like to cut the cheese into cubes verses shredding it because you end up with the little pockets of cheese all through the frittata. But you certainly could shred it if you would rather. I also didn't use all the cheese that you see in the picture, really only about half went into the frittata....we always snack on it while we are cooking though so I cut accordingly!
 Pour the egg mixture into the skillet with the melted butter. (Some times I let it sit on the stove & start to cook some there & some times I go straight to the oven. It turns out the same either way for me. Just adjust your cooking time in the oven accordingly.) Place the skillet into the oven. Bake for about 20-30 minutes, just until set.
This is what it should look like when it's finished. I needed to keep mine warm longer because my side dishes weren't ready so I turned the oven off & let it cool down a but. Then I added a couple more cubes of cheese on top & put it back in the oven until the rest of the meal was finished. The extra pieces of cheese looked like yolks on the top- it was very cute! I served bacon & roasted red skinned potatoes with mine this particular evening. You could make home fries or hash browns & breakfast sausages to serve on the side. And you can change the ingredients in the frittata to your favorites, like browned sausage, olives & peppers, ham & swiss cheese, or spinach, onions & feta cheese...just experiment with it!! Don't add too much cheese, what ever flavor frittata you make though or it will turn out greasy. See the little pockets of cheese?? And doesn't it kind of look like egg yolks?!? Yummmm!

This recipe serves 2-4 people, depending on the sides you choose to have with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment